This Alternative Energy Primer online training course will explore and describe several sources of renewable energy sources and associated technologies that have the potential to reduce and ultimately eliminate our use of fossil fuels. This course will explain what fossil fuels are, their uses, alternative energy sources, and how they can be used to generate electricity and heating.
Since the beginning of the industrial revolution in the late 18th century, we have been using fossil fuels such as coal, oil, and natural gas to power our businesses, transportation systems, and homes. While using fossil fuels has allowed enormous economic growth and technological development, it has two major disadvantages with long-term consequences: fossil fuels are not renewable, and their burning produces carbon emissions that are released into the atmosphere, contributing to climate change. For both reasons, the world needs to transition to renewable energy sources that do not emit greenhouse gases.
Course Learning Objectives
By taking this online Alternative Energy Primer course, the user will learn to:
- Explain what fossil fuels are and the issues associated with their use.
- Recall why the world needs to move towards alternative sources of energy.
- Describe how solar, wind, hydroelectric, tidal, and nuclear energy are being used for generating electricity.
- Outline how geothermal, biomass, and concentrated solar energy are being used for heating and electricity generation.
- Summarize how biofuels, hydrogen, and battery-powered electric vehicles are helping us move away from dependence on fossil fuels for transportation.
This online Alternative Energy Primer course is made up of the following sections:
- Fossil Fuels and Alternative Energy Sources
- Solar Energy for Generating Electricity
- Wind Energy for Generating Electricity
- Hydroelectric Power for Generating Electricity
- Tidal Power for Generating Electricity
- Nuclear Power for Generating Electricity
- Geothermal Energy for Generating Heat or Electricity
- Burning Biomass for Generating Heat or Electricity
- Concentrated Solar Power for Industrial Heating
- Biofuels for Powering Transportation
- Hydrogen for Powering Transportation
- Battery Powered Electric Vehicles
This Alternative Energy Primer online training course was designed for the general industry; general public
If you have any concerns as to whether this course is appropriate for you or your industry, please browse our full selection of online courses.