This Diversity and Cultural Competency for Law Enforcement online training course explores law enforcement professionals at the local, state, and federal levels to enhance their knowledge of cultural competency and build upon communication skills to better connect with the people within the communities they serve and understand diverse perspectives while keeping the peace. This course is logically structured, with relevant content, examples, and scenarios for law enforcement personnel.
This course takes a look at how recognizing and addressing bias and making the effort to become culturally aware can foster trust and confidence among the communities law enforcement protects and serves. When law enforcement practices align with community values and expectations, positive outcomes result. Participants in this course will learn how perceptions based on biases involving an individual’s race, religion, level of ability, gender, ethnicity, immigration status, or other characteristics can influence officer conduct and the behavior of suspects, witnesses, or others during a law enforcement encounter. The course was designed to equip law enforcement personnel with strategies and skills to improve community relationships and engagement, resulting in a more positive perception of law enforcement.
Course Learning Objectives
By taking this Online Diversity and Cultural Competency for Law Enforcement course, the user will learn to:
- Acquire a clear understanding of the key cultural competency terms
- Understand how to establish and maintain the trust of a diverse community
- Know best practices to communicate effectively and inclusively across differences in communities served
- Interpret the value of diversity and inclusion within the department
- Recognize verbal, nonverbal, and environmental microaggressions
- Understand what bias is, including implicit bias, and how to mitigate potential harm
- Identify ways inclusive communication and cultural competency can work together to successfully keep the peace and reduce escalation
This Online Diversity and Cultural Competency for Law Enforcement course is made up of the following sections:
- Cultural Competence
- Establishing Trust in Diverse Communities
- Introduction to Diversity and Inclusion
- Exploring Bias
- Becoming an Inclusive Communicator
- Resolving Bias in a Policing Environment
- Why should our culture change?
This Diversity and Cultural Competency for Law Enforcement online training course was designed for law enforcement professionals at the local, state, and federal levels.
If you have any concerns as to whether this course is appropriate for you or your industry, please browse our full selection of online courses.