This First Aid Basics online training course has been developed to allow certified first aid attendants to refresh and update their basic first aid knowledge. Note that this two-module program is not meant to provide the participant with the necessary skills and information required to perform first aid, nor is it intended to replace a certified first aid training course from an approved First Aid training provider.
Remember that in Ontario, a First Aid Certificate is valid for only three years. However, it is recommended by the Canadian Red Cross and some employers to retrain annually.
This program is meant to supplement completed first aid training by providing a review of some of the critical information covered in a typical First Aid Course. It is recommended that this program be completed in Years 2 and 3 following First Aid certification.
Course Learning Objectives
By taking this online First Aid Basics course, the user will learn to:
- Define the role of the first aid provider.
- Recall seven emergency action principles.
- Identify the type of breathing emergencies: respiratory distress and respiratory arrest.
- Explain the differences between rescue breathing techniques for a child and an infant.
- Recall the first aid techniques for choking including partial and full airway obstruction.
- List the steps of CPR.
- Recognize the role of the Automated External Defibrillators (AEDs).
- Describe how to treat minor cuts, lacerations, and severe bleeding emergencies.
- Recall techniques for treating fracture emergencies.
- Describe the signs and symptoms of shock.
- Explain how to take control at the scene of a first aid emergency.
This online First Aid Basics course is made up of the following sections: