In this Wage and Hour Laws online training course, you will learn about U.S. laws relating to employee pay. We refer to these as 'wage and hour' laws because they cover the wages paid to employees for their hours worked; specifically, the correct amount of wages in exchange for what counts as 'working hours' for which the company must pay its employees.
Wage and hour laws are laws that govern the wage rates employers can pay their employees and the hours for which employers must compensate their employees.
This course is a basic guide to the legal requirements around minimum wage, overtime pay, hours worked, child labor, and recordkeeping.
As with all aspects of employment law, if you have questions or concerns about a particular issue, please contact the Human Resources department or the Legal department of your organization for advice.
Course Learning Objectives
By taking this online Wage and Hour course, the user will learn to:
- List the sources of federal and state employment law.
- Recognize the risks of failing to comply with wage and hour laws.
- Identify the requirements necessary to classify an employee as exempt.
- Review the most common exemption categories under the FLSA.
- Recall the federal minimum wage requirements for different categories of employees.
- Review the requirements around overtime pay.
- Review the categories of time that should be counted as hours worked.
- Identify the general requirements around meal breaks and rest periods.
- Recall the child labor provisions under federal law.
- List the basic records that employers must maintain.
- Outline the basic requirements around wage statements and payments.
- Recall the penalties for wage and hour violations.
This online Wage and Hour Laws course is made up of the following sections:
- Overview of Federal Employment Law
- Employment Classifications and Exemptions
- Basic Wage Standards
- Overtime Pay
- Hours Worked
- Meal Breaks and Rest Periods
- Child Labor
- Payment of Wages
This Wage and Hour Laws online training course was designed for supervisors and managers.
If you have any concerns as to whether this course is appropriate for you or your industry, please browse our full selection of online courses.
Over 60 Minutes